What is Clearing?
Clearing takes place each year between July and September/October, and allows students who are still considering their Higher Education options the chance to apply for a Higher Education place at college or university.
This might be because they have missed their conditions, or had a last minute change of heart about the institution or course they want to study. If this is you, fear not.
You’re eligible for Clearing if you have applied via UCAS in the current application year, and if:
- You have not received any offers; You have declined your offers or not responded by the due date;
- Your offers have not been confirmed because you have not met the conditions (eg. you have not achieved the required grades);
- You have declined a changed course, a changed date of entry and/or changed point of entry offer;
- UCAS received your application after 30 June. If UCAS received your application after this date, they will not have sent it to any universities and colleges.
- You haven’t made a choice yet because you didn’t think you wanted to go into Higher Education.
How can BTEC Higher Nationals give you peace of mind?
BTEC Higher Nationals are often delivered in further education colleges which accept applications throughout the year, so you don’t need to let clearing deadlines worry you.
They are also equivalent to the first two years of a university degree, and are more affordable (and they’re also subject to student loan funding). This means that if you want to study a degree in Business for example, you can start out by doing a BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business at your local college, and then complete your third year at a university of your choice. Many students decide to take this model, because they can save money, stay local, develop skills that employers are ultimately looking for, and still end up with a degree. As Higher Nationals are also recognised by employers, some students actually find that once they’ve completed their HND, they are ready for the workplace.
Amreen chose to apply for HND during clearing and never looked back. Read his story here.
Take control of your choice today
With a wide range of qualifications and available pathways, you can find one that will help you reach your goal. Many of our qualifications are also available within current apprenticeship frameworks. See our subject pages for details.
Once you’ve decided on your subject, you can use our tool to find a provider near you. Go to their website to find out more about the qualification and pathway they offer, then contact the provider directly if you’d like to find out more.