BTEC Higher Nationals in Business (RQF)
These qualifications cover a wide range of areas that can help you thrive within a business role. They aim to widen access to higher education and enhance career prospects. If you choose to study a BTEC Higher National in Business, it will equip you with commercial acumen, understanding and business skills for success in a range of administrative and management roles in business.
Find out more about studying the BTEC Higher National in Business from one of our students.
Pathways within this qualification
This qualification has been developed in collaboration with industry experts, universities, colleges and students to ensure that it is a programme that meets the needs of industry, as well as what you would expect to achieve throughout your course. To help our you develop in your chosen specialism, there are a number of pathways, some of which are listed below:
- Accounting and Finance;
- Business Management;
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management;
- Human Resource Management;
- Operations Management.
Please note this is a combination of pathways at both BTEC HNC and HND level. Colleges we work with may choose to deliver a selection of pathways which is why we suggest that you consult with your local college regarding exact options available to you.
Looking for an apprenticeship?
This qualification has been mapped to the apprenticeship framework for Operations / Departmental Manager.
Careers after a BTEC Higher National in Business
|Some typical jobs after completing the HNC*||Some typical jobs after completing the HND*|
|Business Advisor; Human Resources Officer; Training and Development Officer; Recruitment Consultant; Communications Planner; Accounting Technician.||Business Manager; Business Development Manager; Human Resources Manager; Recruitment Consultant; Marketing Executive/Manager; Logistics and Distribution Manager; Supply Chain Manager; Service Delivery Manager; Retail Manager; Financial Advisor; Sales Manager; Small Business Advisor.|
|*These are suggestions of the typical job roles related to this qualification at this level. Pearson does not guarantee employment upon completion, and you will have a responsibility to make sure that you meet the employer’s requirements.|
Industry support and recognition
For years, employers have valued the skills and knowledge that BTEC Higher National students bring to the world of work. That is why students choose to study our programmes. Specific companies and industry bodies that have made formal statements of support and/or actively hire students who complete BTEC Higher National qualifications:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants: Students who successfully complete BTEC Higher Nationals are eligible for exemptions from some of the ACCA papers. Learn more (PDF)
- Chartered Institute Management Accountants: Students who successfully complete BTEC Higher Nationals may be eligible for exemptions from some of the CIMA modules. Learn more
- Digital Marketing Institute: Students registered on the HND Business (Marketing) are eligible for discounted DMI Power Membership, and those who successfully complete the qualification can receive the Certified Digital Marketing Associate (CDMA) certification at a discounted rate. Learn more.
- The Chartered Management Institute (CMI): Students who successfully complete BTEC Higher Nationals in Business are eligible for Foundation Chartered Manager status, awarded only by CMI. Learn more.
- The Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) (Asia & 2021 qualification version only): As well as being able to access free student membership whilst studying, BTEC Higher National Diploma students on the Accounting & Finance pathway in certain countries are eligible to apply for discounted Associate Membership of the IPA (AIPA), upon completion of their qualification. Learn more.
Progression to university
We work with universities in the UK and around the world, explaining the content, structure and purpose of BTEC Higher National qualifications, so that the universities recognise your value and accept applications from you as a BTEC Higher National holder onto a degree programme. We currently have agreements to top-up HNs to over 1200 degrees worldwide and we continue our work to grow this number.
Visit our Pearson Degree Finder to find all the current articulations.
Where to study BTEC HNs in Business?