BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment (RQF)
This qualification offers a combination of pathways and units that will allow you to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to work within one of the most dynamic and growing areas of the global economy. Responding to an environment in which the construction industry, around the world, is in greater and greater need for technically skilled and professionally aware individuals to help drive the industry forward, these qualifications represent a valuable opportunity for you and potential employers.
Pathways within this qualification
This qualification has been developed in collaboration with industry experts, universities, colleges and students to ensure that it is a programme that meets the needs of both today’s students and the industry’s future. To help our students develop in their chosen specialism, we developed a number of pathways, some of which are listed below:
- Construction - Management
- Construction - Architectural Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Building Services Engineering - Heating, Ventilation and Air-conditioning
- Building Services Engineering - Electrical
Please note this is a combination of pathways at both BTEC HNC and HND level. Colleges we work with may choose to deliver a selection of pathways which is why we suggest that you consult with your local college regarding exact options available to you.
Careers after a BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment
Some typical jobs after completing the HNC*
Some typical jobs after completing the HND*
|Assistant Design Coordinator; Construction Design Technician; Construction Technician; Architectural Draftsperson; Architectural Technician; Heating/Cooling System Technician; Building Services Engineering Technician; Site Engineering Technician; Construction Surveying Technician.||Design & Build Co-ordinator; Construction Site Supervisor; Site Manager; Project Manager; Health & Safety Manager; Architectural Technologist; Information Manager; Architectural Designer; Heating/ Cooling System Designer; Electrical System Designer; Lighting System Designer; Structural Engineering Design; Civil Engineering Design; Transport Engineering Design.|
|*These are suggestions of the typical job roles related to this qualification at this level. Pearson does not guarantee employment upon completion, and you will have a responsibility to make sure that you meet the employer’s requirements.|
Industry support and recognition
For years, employers have valued the skills and knowledge that BTEC Higher National students bring to the world of work. That is why students choose to study our programmes. Specific companies and industry bodies that have made formal statements of support and/or actively hire students who complete BTEC Higher National qualifications.
- VINCI Construction UK: Recognises BTEC HNs in Construction as being fit for purpose in preparing learners for a role in the Construction sector. Find out more (PDF, 0.05MB)
- BAM Construct UK Ltd: BAM recognise that our qualifications will support learners to progress to a wide range of job roles within BAM. Find out more (PDF, 0.1MB)
- The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB): The CIOB recognises our qualifications as providing knowledge and skills and preparing students for achieving MCIOB status. Find out more (PDF, 0.5MB)
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE): ICE recognise BTEC HNs in Construction as a route to registration with the Engineering Council at EngTech level. Find out more (PDF, 0.2MB)
- Construction Industry Training Board (CITB): CITB believe our qualifications provide appropriate level of knowledge and skills, meeting the needs of the business and the individual. Find out more (PDF, 0.08MB)
- Joint Board of Moderators: The Board approved BTEC HNs in Construction as fully satisfying the educational base for an Engineering Technician (EngTech). Find out more (PDF, 0.08MB)
Support while you study
As a BTEC Higher Nationals student you will have access to a specially designed range of digital resources, to ensure that you’ll have the best possible experience during your course. These are available on our free dedicated platform for Higher National students – HN Global.
You’ll be able to access free online learning to develop your study skills to support your higher education learning, and career development resources to support you with preparing for the real world. With HN Global, you can also participate within a community of other BTEC Higher National students from around the world, via online forums, to discuss anything relevant to your course.
Progression to university
We work with universities in the UK and around the world, explaining the content, structure and purpose of BTEC Higher National qualifications, so that the universities recognise your value and accept applications from you as a BTEC Higher National holder onto a degree programme. You can currently top-up your HNs to over 1500 degrees worldwide and we continue our work to grow this number.
Visit Pearson Degree Course Finder to find all the current articulations.
Where to study BTEC HNs in Construction?
If you'd like more information, or to find a college that delivers the BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment, you can search your area on our handy map or visit any the following sites:
We have created a handy guide with more information about BTEC Higher National qualifications so you can find the right one for you.