BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment (RQF)
This qualification offers a combination of pathways and units that will allow you to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to work within one of the most dynamic and growing areas of the global economy. Responding to an environment in which the construction industry, around the world, is in greater and greater need for technically skilled and professionally aware individuals to help drive the industry forward, these qualifications represent a valuable opportunity for you and potential employers.
Pathways within this qualification
This qualification has been developed in collaboration with industry experts, universities, colleges and students to ensure that it is a programme that meets the needs of industry, as well as what you would expect to achieve throughout your course. To help you to develop in your chosen specialism, there are a number of pathways, some of which are listed below:
- Construction - Management
- Construction - Architectural Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Building Services Engineering - Heating, Ventilation and Air-conditioning
- Building Services Engineering - Electrical
Please note this is a combination of pathways at both BTEC HNC and HND level. Colleges we work with may choose to deliver a selection of pathways which is why we suggest that you consult with your local college regarding exact options available to you.
Looking for an apprenticeship?
This qualification is also found within the following apprenticeship frameworks:
- Higher Apprenticeship in Construction Management Construction and Building Services Management and Supervision (Sustainability)
- Higher Apprenticeship in Construction Management: Construction Site Supervision
- Higher Apprenticeship in Construction Management: Construction Management (Sustainability)
Careers after a BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment
Some typical jobs after completing the HNC*
Some typical jobs after completing the HND*
|Assistant Design Coordinator; Construction Design Technician; Construction Technician; Architectural Draftsperson; Architectural Technician; Heating/Cooling System Technician; Building Services Engineering Technician; Site Engineering Technician; Construction Surveying Technician.||Design & Build Co-ordinator; Construction Site Supervisor; Site Manager; Project Manager; Health & Safety Manager; Architectural Technologist; Information Manager; Architectural Designer; Heating/ Cooling System Designer; Electrical System Designer; Lighting System Designer; Structural Engineering Design; Civil Engineering Design; Transport Engineering Design.|
|*These are suggestions of the typical job roles related to this qualification at this level. Pearson does not guarantee employment upon completion, and you will have a responsibility to make sure that you meet the employer’s requirements.|
Industry support and recognition
For years, employers have valued the skills and knowledge that BTEC Higher National students bring to the world of work. That is why students choose to study our programmes. Specific companies and industry bodies that have made formal statements of support and/or actively hire students who complete BTEC Higher National qualifications.
- VINCI Construction UK: Recognises BTEC HNs in Construction as being fit for purpose in preparing learners for a role in the Construction sector. Find out more (PDF, 0.05MB)
- BAM Construct UK Ltd: BAM recognise that our qualifications will support learners to progress to a wide range of job roles within BAM. Find out more (PDF, 0.1MB)
- The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB): The CIOB recognises our qualifications as providing knowledge and skills and preparing students for achieving MCIOB status. Find out more (PDF, 0.5MB)
- Joint Board of Moderators: The Board approved BTEC HNs in Construction as fully satisfying the educational base for an Engineering Technician (EngTech). Find out more (PDF, 0.08MB)
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT): The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT) is a dynamic, forward-thinking and inclusive global membership qualifying body for Architectural Technology. Find out more (PDF, 211.5KB)
Progression to university
We work with universities in the UK and around the world, explaining the content, structure and purpose of BTEC Higher National qualifications, so that the universities recognise your value and accept applications from you as a BTEC Higher National holder onto a degree programme. We currently have agreements to top-up HNs to over 1200 degrees worldwide and we continue our work to grow this number.
Visit our Pearson Degree Finder to find all the current articulations.
Where to study BTEC HNs in Construction?