BTEC Higher Nationals in Engineering (RQF)
This qualification offers a combination of pathways and units that will allow you to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to work within one of the most dynamic and growing areas of the global economy. Responding to an environment in which the engineering industry, around the world, is in greater and greater need for technically skilled and professionally aware individuals to help drive the industry forward, these qualifications represent a valuable opportunity for you and potential employers.
Pathways within this qualification
This qualification has been developed in collaboration with industry experts, universities, colleges and students to ensure that it is a programme that meets the needs of industry, as well as what you would expect to achieve throughout your course. To help you to develop in your chosen specialism, there are a number of pathways, some of which are listed below:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- General Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Operations Engineering
Please note this is a combination of pathways at both BTEC HNC and HND level. Colleges we work with may choose to deliver a selection of pathways which is why we suggest that you consult with your local college regarding exact options available to you.
Looking for an apprenticeship?
This qualification is also found within the following apprenticeship frameworks:
- Higher Apprenticeship in the Water Industry
- Higher Apprenticeship in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
Industry support and recognition
For years, employers have valued the skills and knowledge that BTEC Higher National students bring to the world of work. That is why students choose to study our programmes. Specific companies and industry bodies that have made formal statements of support and/or actively hire students who complete BTEC Higher National qualifications.
- GKN Aerospace GKN Aerospace view our qualifications as essential in giving their workforce the opportunity to develop and progress within their organisation. Learn more (PDF, 0.5MB)
- BMW Group BMW Group consider their apprenticeship programme as their largest source of future talent and use BTEC Higher Nationals in Engineering in these programmes Learn more (PDF, 0.06MB)
- BAE Systems BAE Systems believe that our qualifications ensure employees are appropriately skilled for the job in the Engineering sector. Learn more (PDF, 0.07MB)
- Royal Aeronautical Society The Royal Aeronautical Society recognises that the HNs in Engineering meet the academic requirements for EngTech and support students in progressing in their careers. Learn more (PDF, 118.9KB)
Careers after a BTEC Higher National in Engineering
Some typical jobs after completing the HNC*
Some typical jobs after completing the HND*
|Electrical Engineering Technician; Electronics Engineering Technician; Mechanical Engineering Technician; Manufacturing Systems Technician; Automotive Engineering Technician; Engineering Maintenance Technician.||Electrical Engineer; Electronic Engineer; Mechanical Engineer; Manufacturing Systems Engineer; Automotive Engineer; Maintenance Engineer.|
|*These are suggestions of the typical job roles related to this qualification at this level. Pearson does not guarantee employment upon completion, and you will have a responsibility to make sure that you meet the employer’s requirements.|
Progression to university
We work with universities in the UK and around the world, explaining the content, structure and purpose of BTEC Higher National qualifications, so that the universities recognise your value and accept applications from you as a BTEC Higher National holder onto a degree programme. We currently have agreements to top-up HNs to over 1200 degrees worldwide and we continue our work to grow this number.
Visit our Pearson Degree Finder to find all the current articulations.
Where to study BTEC HNs in Engineering?